Termites or “white ants” as they are popularly called in Australia is a major pest issue for property owners. Nothing quite compares to termite infestations in terms of potential for damage and destruction. As a matter of fact, at least 1 of 3 residential properties in Australia is believed to be harboring such destructive pests or at least had a past history of termite attacks. Termite property damage in a year can property damage that is more expensive than the one’s caused by storm, flood and fire put altogether.
Some of the damages caused by termite infestations include:
- Damage to wooden furniture
- Weaken wooden foundations making properties unsafe to dwell in
- Do extensive building damages as they build nesting areas underground, within walls or on roof interior
What’s more is that property damage attributed to termite infestations are not covered by most insurance programs. Thus it is vital to prevent and eliminate all traces of termite infestations in and around your property before significant damages are done.
Signs of termite infestations:
- Mud leads resemble tunnels which are used by termites to infiltrate your property
- Paint or plaster blisters
- A hollow sound when you tap what seems to be wooden solid structures
- Unusual power failures as they often chew through electrical wirings
- Mud particles protruding from wooden structures like timber
- Sagging of wooden doors, floor and ceilings
Protecting your home from termite infestations
- Avoid storing wooden pile or debris near your property
- Avoid erecting any wooden structure directly on the ground as termites can easily get to them
- Termites love humidity so secure your plumbing drainage and air conditioning units for possible leaks
- Clear the area surrounding your property free of vegetations to aid in detection and ease of inspection
The task of actually eliminating termite infestations is best left to seasoned and reputable professionals. Pest Free Brisbane can also help you implement preventive measures to ward off the presence of termite infestations effectively preventing the problem from reoccurring.
Detecting termite infestations
Early detection and prevention is the key to the best termite pest control solution for property owners. After all, the best way to solve any problem is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Our pest controllers can certainly help you do just that with the help of the latest and most effective tools and technology for termite detection which includes:
- Termiscan which is essentially a portable thermal imaging device that can be used to effectively detect the presence of termite infestation hidden underneath timber and other wooden structures like walls, floor boards etc. It saves you the trouble of having to do a visual confirmation of these pests which often requires a fair amount of drilling, disassembly and outright damages to walls, floors and ceilings.
- Moisture meters to check for high humidity. Termites thrive well in hidden areas with high humidity.
- Timber sounding equipment can be used to check wood density and detect hollow areas hidden within that are sure to be caused by termite infestations.
Eliminating and treating termite infestations
Here at Pest Free Brisbane, we provide various solutions for effectively eliminating and preventing termite infestations. This includes the use of chemical solutions that are odorless and environmentally safe. These chemical can be applied to trenched areas and soil or directly into the termite colony for maximum effectiveness.
Baiting systems can also be used and installed in areas surrounding your property. These systems attract foraging termites, feed on the bait treated with a special solutions designed to slowly kill and eliminate termites as the foragers return to the colony and spread its effects.